Monday, July 15, 2013

Testing the Waters

Agua / Water Starting a blog is a scary thing. Will I be able to post often enough to make a difference?  Am I going to neglect my family just to write my reflections of learning?  And more importantly, what if I miss my favorite summer TV show, Big Brother? Kidding aside, it is my hope that I will deepen my learning as I begin this blogging journey.

Truthfully, I prefer to share the spotlight, unless I'm in a classroom.  It's a rare occasion for me to present alone in front of my peers.  Occasionally, I'll push myself OR I won't have a choice-but I do prefer to work with others on most things.  

Wondering about my blog title? It's a reference to my field of study in college.  I began working with children when I was 13-babysitting, day camps, parent's nights out, overnight camps.  My parents wanted me to be a teacher.  I didn't want to be one because "they" wanted me to be one.  So I chose to be the next best thing (in my mind) a Recreation Administration major (California State University, Chico).  

I worked for the YMCA for a few years, and then while working at one of their after-school programs, I came to the realization that I could reach more children in the classroom.  In fact, the teacher who inspired me then, is now my principal!

If you would like to know a bit more about me, I created an About Me Haiku Deck for a contest by one of my favorite podcasts, Techlandia. Enjoy!

Created with Haiku Deck, the free presentation app for iPad


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on taking the plunge, Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say that I like the title. A catchy title, I think, is key because there are so many EdTech blogs out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Scott. I figured it was like ripping off a Band-Aid-starting a blog was something I just had to do! I'm just wondering if readers will be disappointed if I post something about education that is not related to EdTech because of the title.

    ReplyDelete